May 6, 2014

May 5, 2014

Hey family!

Love you all so much! CAN'T WAIT FOR SUNDAYYYY!!! 
 
This has been another kind of slow going week, but things are picking up. I'm just lucky to have a hilarious companion that keeps me going all week long. The members are also really loving and very helpful, we have an awesome bishop that really wants to help the work move forward. 

We've been working a lot with the new converts here...quite a few of them are going inactive, so it's been a challenge. We're teaching each of them, trying to help them have a testimony. The investigators that were left for us won't accept our visits, so we really are starting from scratch. The problem is the "reference" that people are giving us, or the people that we contact, end up being dropped investigators from the Hermanas before...it's rough haha. 

Even though things have been a little slow going as far as progression goes, I'm happy and hopeful. Last week, President Archibald informed us that THIS week Elder Waddell from the area presidency, a member of the quorum of the 70, is going to be touring our mission. We were asked to prepare a 5 minute talk on the attributes of Christ that are listed in Preach my Gospel. People are randomly going to be called up to give their talk, so we are all preparing. I've been studying more for myself, because I doubt I'm going to be called up, but what I've found has been super interesting. I was reading the different attributes and felt impressed that I should write about hope and dilligence. It seemed silly to me at first, because I didn't really see how those things tied together. Then while I was studying this week, I found the following scripture in Hebreos: 
 10 For God is not aunrighteous to forget your work and blabour ofclove, which ye have shewed toward his dname, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
 11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the sameadiligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
 12 That ye be not aslothful, but followers of them who throughbfaith and cpatience inherit the dpromises.
 13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he couldaswear by no greater, he bsware by himself,
 14 Saying, Surely blessing I will abless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.
 15 And so, after he had patiently aendured, he obtained the promise.
 16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an aoath for confirmation is to them an end of all bstrife.
 17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his acounselbconfirmed it by ancoath:
 18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to alie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled forbrefuge to lay hold upon the chope set before us:
 19 Which hope we have as an aanchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the bveil;
 20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made anahigh priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
When I read this scripture, I was reminded that the Lord knows that I really am giving my all, now more than ever. This transfer I've been striving to be more obedient, and trying to talk to everyone in the street. God knows that I'm working hard, and He hasn't forgotten it. Like Abraham, He has promised many blessing to His children... but WE NEED TO HAVE HOPE AND KEEP WORKING HARD UNTIL THE END. Through FAITH, HOPE, PATIENCE, ENDURANCE, we find the promises we seek. Hope is the anchor, Christ is the forerunner...we aren't the first that have had to work hard and be patient to receive our reward.  

The Lord's hand is in each one of our lives. When we meet people, it isn't a coincidence. I was thinking a lot about Sheri Bird this week. I can't believe that it's been two years since she passed away. She was one of those people (and there are countless others) that really touched and changed my life. She taught me what it means to ENDURE with patience and hope. Despite her challenges, her faith never wavered and she was never afraid to share that testimony with me, even in her most challenging moments. I love Sheri and her family, they've been such an amazing blessing in my life.  

 This week, we had one real miracle of "coincidental meetings". We had a really hard day. The both of us were on the verge of tears. All of our citas had fallen through and were being rejected all day long. We walked defeatedly through the park that leads to our apartment. As we were walking I tried my best to keep on smiling and greeting people with BUENAS NOCHES. There was one lady that responded.... WITH A SMILE. Whoa. Hermana Kim and I stopped in our tracks, but the lady had turned a corner and gone. We both felt the spirit, we needed to talk to her, but she was nowhere in sight. About two seconds later, she came RUNNING back to us, asking us if we were Mormon missionaries. She told us that she has been inactive for 10 years because she married a nonmember and moved away from her family. She now has three kids. She said she wants to come back. We went to visit her. We stil haven't met her husband, but she said that she wants to be active and she wants to teach her children and her husband the gospel, she wants them to be a part of this. She told us she's wanted to come back for years but she just never felt right...she was scared. But when she saw us in the park that night and walked away, she just felt like "It's them. Those are the two girls that I need to talk to" and so she came back and asked us to come to her home. I have no doubt in my mind that once we meet and teach her husband, he and their ten year old son will join the church. The spirit in that home is SO strong. The Lord has been preparing this family. There was a reason we ended up in the park that night. Pray for us that we'll find her husband! He travels a lot for work. 

Well, I love you all and hope you have an amazing week! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the moms I know! My mom, my grandmas, and all the ladies that have been so important in my life. I hope you all get spoiled.

Love you tons,

Hermana Carr 

No comments:

Post a Comment