July 7, 2014

July 7,2014


Querida Familia (incluye Elder Carr),


Well, this week was a little bit of a rough one. I don't have a ton to report haha.

  It's FREEZING here. I'm so bummed because someone stole the outer layer of my winter coat when I was leaving Caraz, but I still have the inner layer and I found a super cheap fleece coat that keeps me pretty warm with the under armour the Youngs gave me (THANK THEM A TON FOR ME). And yeah, people are still going crazy over Mundial (the world cup) haha. Sounds like you guys had a fun week! Glad you got to go on your horse trip. Sounds like the trek will be a blast...even if it's going to be hot haha. Take lots of pictures for me!

 On Monday we went to Ancon, a beach in another zone in our mission. We got special permission to go and it was a blast. We got to play in an old abandoned ship, take pictures on the beach....look at dead seagulls...yum...and play soccer. It was really fun. 

This was one of those "I can do hard things" weeks we sometimes have on this mission. Brett, you're going to see pretty soon how it can be. There are some weeks where you just have days...and days... of searching, and nobody seems to want to accept your message. There are hours and hours of walking in unpaved dusty streets, in the freezing cold, trying to contact people that don't give you the time of day. There are days when you talk and talk and you think you're making sense...but almost everyone looks at you blankly and turns to your companion to ask "what did she just say?". Sometimes it seems like you're wasting your time and you would serve better in some other calling. But that really isn't true. 

I've been reading a lot in Our Search for Happiness, The Book of Mormon, DyC and the Pearl of Great Price this week. I love the scriptures. I love the words of modern prophets and apostles. Something that I've learned this week is that the Lord KNOWS us, He SEES how hard we are working, even if the blessings haven't come yet. Sometimes we have to be obedient just to show the Lord that we trust Him. We aren't obedient because we expect the Lord to bless us in the same moment, we're obedient because the Lord loves us and we want to show Him that we love Him too. I just finished the Book of Mormon again and I'm starting over. I was reading in 1 Nefi 2 about how Lehi left EVERYTHING, just because the Lord told him to. He didn't give a second thought about the possessions he had, he knew that the Lord had commanded him to leave Jerusalem, and he trusted that the Lord would eventually fulfill his promise about a chosen land that would bless his family. It's the same for us...sometimes we SACRIFICE and WORK and GO without question, hoping that the Lord will bless us, but we do it because He has already so richly blessed our lives. We do it because obedience is how we show Him our love. I was also reading in Moses 1 about how right after Moses saw the Lord, Satan came and tempted him right before he became a profeta. Similar to how Satan tempted and attacked Joseph Smith right before he had the First Vision. Satan is always trying to bring us down, make us think that we are something less than a child of God. He doesn't want us to fulfill our divine potential, he doesn't want us to fulfill the mission that the Lord has for us. God does. God sees our potential and knows we can do hard things, He has a plan for us and will fulfill all of His promises if we but ACTIVELY ENDURE.

On the bright side, C is progressing a ton. She's receiving a calling this week and volunteered to be a Visiting Teacher for someone that didn't have one. She's awesome. She's also started coming with us to teach our lessons because she's finished her classes at the university. She's a bright spot in our lives. 

To close I want to share a video with you guys that I'm sure you've already seen, but I haven't until this past week, and I've only seen it in Spanish. It's so profound and I feel the spirit every time we share it with our recent converts. 



I know that Christ is our Savior. Our Heavenly Father loved us enough to send His Son. Because of Him we have the chance to become better each day. Because of Him we can reach our divine potential. Because of Him we can REPENT, we can BE BAPTIZED, we can be MADE CLEAN, and we can RETURN TO THE PRESENCE OF OUR LOVING HEAVENLY FATHER. Through Him, my family is eternal and everyone has that opportunity. I'm so grateful for my Savior. I know that He lives. I know that He loves us. I know that this is HIS work. 

I love you all and hope you have a beautiful week! 

Les amo
Hermana Carr 

C's  Baptism

Funky Boat at the beach

Ancon

Happy Birthday cake sparkler- to celebrate 4th of July!

Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment