October 15, 2013

Oct. 14, 2013

Hola familia:

Mom- sounds like you had a fantastic time in Las Vegas! I am so glad you got to go shooting and spend some time with your brothers and your cousin. Glad you're more confident in your shooting skills and that you had a blast! The thai food sounds like it was quite an adventure, I'm glad you both survived haha. How was NYNY? Despite all the nasty-ness of the strip, it sounds like you had a ton of fun. That was kind of how NYC was, just a lot of filth in the middle of the cool stuff.
Yep! That picture is one of my favorite. My companion is adorable and my district is amazing. I think it's funny, because the other districts in our group have 4 and 6 sisters...so I don't really know how we ended up only having two sisters in our group---let me just say I AM SO GLAD. No drama, and Elders that include us in everything equals MUCHO FUN. I am working hard and it is a blast. I can't believe I'm already half way through the CCM! It kind of makes me sad, though I'm TOTALLY stoked for Lima Oeste---apparently it is BEAUTIFUL and most of it is mountainous.... but I am kind of freaking out about the amount of Spanish I know, and super sad that I won't be seeing the Elders in my district again- they're all going to Trujillo which is the mission just north of us. Mom, Good luck on your talk. Dad says that you are inviting a ton of people. Keep working hard and pray/fast for the Spirit. It makes a world of difference. I don't really have anything off the top of my head about teaching in the home, but it sounds to me like that is a topic that would answer the questions all of your friends have.
You have a great week too! Don't miss me, just focus on what you're doing at home. I'm doing great :)

So it's only been five days and I don't have too much to tell you. Things at the CCM are pretty routine. My companion and I have been a little frustrated with one of our "investigators"' lately, but we had a really good talk by Elder Bednar about the importance of turning outward and not focusing on ourselves. I realized my attitude here has kind of been about ME learning Spanish for ME and ME being here for MY progression and MY experience. Really though...this isn't about me at all. I am learning Spanish to speak to people in THEIR language, so that the Lord can teach them the gospel in their own tongue. I'm here to prepare to preach the Gospel to people that need it. That really shook me up.

Another cool thing. I went to the temple today and I finally felt confidant enough to chat with a few of the ladies quietly. There was a woman standing behind me in line for dresses and I think it was her first time going through...she had come all the way from Arequipa. She was super sweet. And then there is this cute TINY peruvian lady that comes to the same session I do every week, she finally struck up a conversation with me and told me she was from Trujillo...the northernmost part of this country, and she comes EVERY TUESDAY to the temple! I was amazed by that. These people are SO faithful. They come from all over Peru because THIS is where the temple is. They sacrifice so much time and effort to come to a place that I take such advantage of... I mean really, I have been to the temple twice in five days. It was just eye opening to me, and reminded me that the people of South America really have been given the gift of believing blood. These people are SO faithful and such examples to me of what I SHOULD be, especially as a missionary.

Okay- not right away, obviously because I'm still at the CCM, but could you send me some printed photos of our family, and me and some of my friends or something? I realized that I didn't bring any... I just have what is on my camera and I would love some tangible photos. ALSO, just an FYI it IS okay for you to send me pictures of what you are doing :) So send me some football, basketball, dance, goofy pictures every once in a while. Mom use your gmail-photo skills, I KNOW you can remember haha. I just would love to see pictures too.

Fun fact: Peru has legit butcher shops in the middle of the calle. Like right next to the shoe shop there's just a bunch of meat hanging there...sick.

I love you all. Thank you for your continued support while I'm here. I couldn't imagine what it's like to be on a mission without family support back home.

This church is true. The Gospel of Jesus Christ IS on the earth again. Jose Smith fue un profeta de Dios. Yo se que nosotros somos Sus hijos. Dios ama nosotros MUCHO!

Love you tons <3


Stevie....Hermana Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment